Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Methi Pulao


Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Pulao)
I love greens. I cook them in as many ways as possible. Yesterday I made Methi pulao and I am now sharing the recipe with you.
I am a miser when it comes to using oil. I use very little oil in all my cooking, except for when it is a fry. Also I cook most of my vegetables and rice items in a cooker. This ways it cooks faster and consumes less fuel. And I will need less oil too.
Preperation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves 2
You will need:

Basmati Rice: 1 cup
Water (to cook): 1 ¼ cup
Methi Leaves (Fenugreek leaves): 1 bunch
Tomatoes (small size): 1 diced
Green Chillies: 4-5 chopped
Oil: 1 tspn
Cumin seeds: ½ tspn
Red Chilli Powder: ½ tspn
Coriander Powder: 1½ tspn
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tspn
Salt: to taste

Method:

Step 1:
Chop off the roots of the methi.
Wash the methi well and further chop it.
Sprinkle some salt to the washed methi leaves, mix and keep it aside for 15 minutes. (This will drain out the bitterness from the leaves.)
Wash the rice thoroughly and soak it for 20 mins.

Step 2:
Add oil to a cooker.
When the oil heats up add cumin seeds and wait till it lightly changes colour / splutters.
Add the diced tomatoes, green chillies and turmeric powder and mix well.
Squeeze the water from the methi leaves and add to the cooker.
Add the coriander powder and chilli powder and mix.
Cook for a minute.
Now strain the rice and add it to the methi leaves.
Add salt and water and with the cooker lid.
Cook for 1 whistle.
Serve with cool carrot cucumber raita or pickle of your choice.

Note: Basmati rice cooks faster hence less proportion of water. If you are using regular rice, cook in 1:2 ratio (2 cups water for 1 cup rice)

3 comments: