Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Coconut Rice

Being a South Indian I grew up eating rice. Both plain and flavored. Though I am more of a rotis person I like having my doses of rice too. I especially like steaming hot plain rice. Unadulterated.

The best thing about rice is it can be cooked in various flavors. Being the staple food in most Indian houses, no festive meal is complete without rice. One rice item that is popular in my maternal side of the family is Coconut Rice. There are 2 types in this. One is made with coconut milk and the other with freshly grated coconut. I am sharing the former today. Though we use coconut milk in this id does not have a coconut flavor. Infact if not told you will not know that there is any bit of coconut in there. It tastes very good with chicken curry. I make it atleast once a month.

Serves 2
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 25 mins

You will need:

Basmati Rice: 1 cup
Coconut Milk: 1 ½ cup (I use coconut milk powder as per the instructions on the box for thick milk.)
Onion (medium): 1 thinly sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste: ½ Tblspn
Oil: 1 tblspn
Bayleaf: 1
Cloves: 2
Cardamom: 1
Peppercorns: 5-6
Salt: to taste

Method:

Step 1:
Pour oil in a cooker. When it heats up add the bayleaf, cloves, cardamom and peppercorn to it.
When they start to splutter add the onions and fry till they turn pink.
Now add the ginger garlic paste and cook for another 2 minutes (till the raw smell is gone.)

Step 2:
Now add the washed rice, the coconut milk and salt and mix well.
Cook for 1 whistle.
Note: When you open the cooker lid, the rice may seem very sticky on the top. Use a wooden ladle to gently fluff the rice before transferring into serving bowl.

Note: You can also add a few cashew nuts with cloves and other spices.
You could also use tinned coconut milk.

This is going to Monthly Mingle #33 – Ravishing Rice Recipes Event at the Edible Garden initiated by Meeta at What’s for lunch, Honey?

2 comments:

  1. Coconut is one of my favorite ways to dress up rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowwwww!!!!
    my favvvvv coconut rice.. looks very tempting... thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete